Monday, March 27, 2017

A Tornado in Turlock!

At the General Women's Meeting: They put flowers in our hair!
Hello! 

Oh boy, this week was a slow week. BUT it was very eventful! 

Here is an experience I had that changed my life. If you know me well, I have a phobia of tornadoes. I use to watch "Wizard of Oz" everyday when I was little. You can even ask my mom and she will show you all the pictures of me dressed up as Dorothy. ANYWAY, we were on exchanges and we were getting ready to go out and work. But it started to DOWNPOUR. I had never EVER seen it rain so much before in my life. But, we wanted to be diligent and we decided to go out and ride! Me and my companion were knocking doors, a cute little old lady saw us and shouted:
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE?!?! COME IN QUICK!! THERE IS A TORNADO WARNING!!" 

........ OKAY?!?!?!!?!??!? 

CALIFORNIA IS NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE TORNADOES?!?!?!?!? WHAT IN THE WORLD?!?!?!? I WAS FREAKING OUT INSIDE AND I JUST WANTED TO CRY!!!!

BUT...  I had my scripture on my missionary plaque at home come to mind that has the scripture from 1 Timothy in the Bible: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind..." And I knew that with God, I can be brave. So we went inside the cute little old lady's house for a little while until the weather cooled down. She wasn't interested, but she did appreciate all the work we were doing and thought we were lunatics for going out in a storm like that. BUT!! We were then on our way to people we had written down to see, and that day we gained 2 new investigators (former investigators) and they were so excited to see us. That just proves that God has a plan for us and that it is according to His timing. And as we follow His spirit, He will lead us to who we need to see and when to see them.  And sometimes we have to go through tornadoes to find them!

 Also from this experience, it made me think of a scripture in the Book of Mormon, Helaman 5:12: 

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God,that ye must build your foundationthat when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo,because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is sure foundation, foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall:" 

I love this scripture so much!! Satan will bring his storms and try to drag us down. But we can have Christ as our foundation and we can trust in Him. He wants us to be able to come to him for help, safety, and refuge. He loves us so much and He died for all of us. We can apply His atonement daily and have the power through Him to do whatever God wants us to do. I am just so grateful for that.

But yeah, I seriously love this gospel so much. I am grateful to be on a mission and experience all the things I am experiencing! Especially conquering my fears, such as: little chihuahuas chasing me and attacking me, TORNADOES in California, having loved ones pass away who we are teaching, and getting out of my comfort zone. 

I love you all so much and I hope you have a great day!! :D 

Love, Sister Guilott 

We went hiking in what people called "the mountains."  These cute little hills!
Being silly at a District Meeting
We realized that the cardboard we set our bikes on inside our apartment at night resembles many of the homeless people we see every day.  We were sitting down with blankets and realized we look like so many of the people we see each day!  

Creative companion study places as we plan our next day

No comments:

Post a Comment